Saturday 3 June 2017

Time and Tide Tap takeover at Tshakespeares

Hulloo,

      I had rather forgotten about this event, what with trying not to take notice of any beery happenstances whilst still on meds. Now am back at work and on my last box of biotics I am starting to relax a little. Dave Unpro said we talked about the event on Thursday night in that self same pub. I have no reason to doubt him, I just lack the functionality to remember if what he is saying is true....

On arrival I noticed a low strength IPA on my keg line (you know, the one I own with Kernel) and so was somewhat disappointed but Adam passed me the night's reading material and I noticed that there were in fact a number of Time and Tide brewing's beers on. I started on a pint of their excellent All in Jim APA with Sorachi Ace which had a wonderful lemongrassy kick to it with very well balanced bitterness. and went awandering to find a seat. Bumped into the Dans, Howard and Rob, man from nowhere, as well as Charlie and Al Steward, and later Unpro and Mr E who very kindly joined me in the clock room.

Before I finished the Sorachi, which was a very refreshing pale ale,  I bought a half of their Domino, an imperial white stout made with tonka beans and coffee at an impressive 8.6%. This is the stoutiest white stout I have ever tasted and the tonka beans gave it a very heavy but rewardingly tasty feel. I actually spent a good 3 hours supping this in small sips, not because I disliked it but because it was such a sensational flavour bomb of a beer.

I had been intending to meet the Nodvogs and Mr G but none turned up which I was a bit miffed about but in the end the beer and those I sat with more than made up for their absence and I was able to offload a few woes onto Mr E whilst supping yet more of the offerings from Time and Tide. Who are Time and Tide brewery I hear you ask? I don't know. Hope that helps. Their brewer has facial hair, so is easy to spot.*

My next beer was Bucky, a 5.4% hogweed and sea buckthorne pale ale with both flavours present. The brewer, who had a name, was explaining when I was at the bar that hogweed is a pale almost see through set of bubbled membranes which tastes vile if you eat it - this is possibly why I only ordered a third. He did however assure us that it tasted fine in a beer and myself and Mr E agreed. Its very difficult to describe this ale since both of its feature ingredients have very unusual flavours. So there.

I finished on a pint of the Brynhilder, a 4.4% session IPA as recommended by almost everyone, and a half an Echo, which was a dry hopped bretted saison. I can't say I really liked the echo - the idea was worrying, and am not a fan of dry hopped saisons and the bretting was a bit too intense. A beer where I disliked the idea, and the product, which was a shame.

The Brynhilder on the other had was perfect. A wonderfully refreshing well rounded hoppy session ale. I like my IPA's plus 6% as you know but I could have drunk this all night. It was a perfect slaker which provided all of the hoppy quality of a strong IPA with much less of the alcohol.

At some point I saw the man from Lost Industry. You know, the one with the head. He asked me if I wanted to try something interesting and gave me a bottle full of their Banana and raspberry sour sundae ale in a glass. It was superb. I know Lost Industry like to experiment with sours (and indeed were planning on doing one with other brewers later) but I didn't expect this to taste the way it did. The man with a head also invited me to join the man with facial hair, Unpro and others to try a Time and Tide bottle of burnt honey Braggert at 11%. Just a trial brew am guessing based on its label written in pen but a really interesting flavoured beer. Twice the strength (almost) of the one I tried at the Blue Anchor in Cornwall.

I finished on a free sample of their imperial white stout before the brewer had to leave and I had to catch my last bus. This final taster rounded the night off perfectly. I got to meet new people, friends of old and a brewer or three and got to try the wares of an excellent brewery all in the same night.

Thanks to Shakespeares for organising the event, to Time and Tide for attending, and to Lost Industry for their kind free sample. Lets hope we see more Time and Tide Brewing beers in Sheffield soon.

Cheers!


Wee Beefy

*there's actually a link here to their website should you want any facts......

No comments:

Post a Comment